How to use an Internationalized theme for WordPress?

As you know, the latest version of MistyLook Theme for WordPress is fully internationalized. It means people can use it for their own sites in their language, without editing the theme files.

Right now, I have 3 people submitting their translations [.mo files] for the MistyLook theme.
1.German Translation File by Ulli.
2. Dutch Translation File Jozef Schildermans.
3. Russian Translation File by Elf.

You can download these files from the theme page, but how do you use them?

1. Set your language in WordPress Configuration.
To do this, you have to open wp-config.php file in your WordPress installation’s root folder.
Here you will be looking for a setting called wp_lang.
define ('WPLANG', '');
and to change the settings to German for example, change it to
define ('WPLANG', 'de_DE');

2. Download the respective language file from our theme page, and put that file [de_DE.mo for german for example] in the theme folder.

You think there are more steps? no. thats it. Go ahead and view your site.

Milan Paunovic

May 12, 2008 at 10:34 am

Where I can find original english files which I can translate to Serbian. I’m talking about Misty Look theme.

Thanks in advance, this is awesome theme!

May 13, 2008 at 1:00 pm

Milan,
    The original English file is the MistyLook.pot file that is packaged with the theme itself. You can download it from http://wpthemes.info/misty-look/

Milan Paunovic

May 14, 2008 at 1:01 pm

Thanks!
    I downloaded mistylook from frontpage where all themes are and inside are not pot file. But folowing your link to misty-look there is a pot file. I started translation.
    Thanks again!

Milan Paunovic

May 14, 2008 at 1:02 pm

Thanks!
    Thanks again!

Sergejpinka

July 21, 2008 at 1:03 pm

Hi!

I transleted MistyLook to italian lenguage.

This is link download: http://www.sergejpinka.it/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=1

The link download page is: http://www.sergejpinka.it/localizzazione-tema-mistylook/

Thank you for the theme!

Alex Bellido

August 3, 2008 at 1:04 pm

Hola!

He traducido la plantilla Misty-Look al Español.

Descargar el es_ES.mo desde: http://www.nosinmibici.es/wp-content/uploads/files/es_ES.mo

Descargar el es_ES.po desde: http://www.nosinmibici.es/wp-content/uploads/files/es_ES.po

Hi! I translated Misty-Look to spanish. Up you have the download links. Thank you for the theme!

Dimitar

September 11, 2008 at 1:05 pm

Can u tell me what is nesessary to translate a theme into anothe language. A friend of mine has downloaded a theme from Internet and he wants to translate it into Bulgarian. What do we have to do? Is there differences between the different themes .mo files?

Robert

January 4, 2009 at 1:06 pm

Well, hate to say it, but translations don’t work and the dutch file is corrupted (35Kb, wheras it should be around 9Kb. Also there is strange HTML code inside it).

I’ve translated everything to dutch using the po file, created an Mo file, named it nl_Nl.mo and placed it in my mystylook theme directory, still doesn’t pick it up. Language is set to nl_Nl in config, no result. also changed to dutch in admin settings, no results. Mystylook is still displaying everything in english…

Lars Kvisle

January 17, 2009 at 1:07 pm

I’ve set up a testsite and must say I’m very pleased with MistyLook. I’d like to translate it to Norwegian, however I tried to change the language to Danish (which is similar to Norwegian), but as Robert (previous comment) experienced with dutch, it stays English. Are we doing anything wrong or is there an error in the theme?

I’m planning to use it with WordPress MU for a football club so it’ll be used on between 10 and 30 sites.

P.S. I miss a drop down menu, http://wprocks.com/forums/comments.php?DiscussionID=1640&page=1#Item_0

robert

January 17, 2009 at 1:08 pm

As with all things that are ‘free’ and that you don’t make yourself, don’t bother. This is abandoned, by all means and purposes. I mean, 10 full days between my posting and Lars’ posting. Forget it. I’ll go an look elsewhere.

This is *the* major problem with this free / opensource stuff.

It all depends on the mood, stage of life and state of mind of the owner / author…

Lars Kvisle

January 17, 2009 at 1:09 pm

@robert. You may be right, but sound very desillusioned. I suppose he’s longing for something in return. A stream of translations may be just what he needs to shifts his priorities to the issue we’re concerned about. I’ve also seen mentioned that he’ll release an updated version of MistyLook (1). It makes more sense to invest effort in a soon to be released new version.

(1) http://wprocks.com/forums/comments.php?DiscussionID=1602&page=1#Item_0

Julius Bisset

December 22, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Hello, I did have a little issue visiting it using IE 8 on my Mac though, [u]just thought that I would let you know[/u]. Particularly on the home page the navigation displays on the right section of the webpage. Regards