How many of you use the “custom header image” option?

The moment WordPress started supporting “Custom Header Image”, I am implementing this feature on as many themes as I develop. In fact, all my popular WordPress Themes like MistyLook, NigaRila, PalNila etc have this feature built into this theme. All you have to do is, login to your WordPress, go to Presentation / Design and look for the option called “Custom Image Header”. Here you will be able to upload your own image, crop its size to fit your theme and save it. It shows up on your site’s header automatically. I would like to know how many of you are actually using feature?. If it is used by a lot of people, why is it not a popular feature in themes done by other people? Please post your thoughts on this.

1. Rocks

Jim

May 8, 2008 at 5:49 pm

Absolutely! Love it. In fact, I wouldn’t be using the theme if I couldn’t update the header image.

2. Rocks

Vishwan

May 8, 2008 at 6:09 pm

I absolutely love it too… it gives a more personal touch to your blog and separates it from the rest.

Patrick D.

May 9, 2008 at 6:30 pm

I love that feature when I using a theme with it. I’m currently on your PluralPlus theme, so no header change.

Rudi

May 10, 2008 at 6:32 pm

!!! A MUST HAVE !!! I use it since the first day. Thanks for this GREAT feature!

Suzan David

May 17, 2008 at 6:33 pm

I use it and think it’s GREAT. I’m also considering putting the header INSIDE the table though, so it will print.

David

May 17, 2008 at 6:38 pm

I use it on all three of my blogs. It is a major factor in choosing a blog. Possibly many bloggers don’t feel they need to emphasize photos as much. Or they just find a header that already has something up there. It’s a bother to mess with it. You really do have to have some very good photos to compete with the ones the theme designer puts up there.
    Or think you do. It helps to be a little delusional.

Mike

May 17, 2008 at 6:38 pm

This is one of the top features that I look for in a theme. I all so look for themes that have drop down menu for pages. Love your themes keep up the great work. I think $50.00 is the right price for a theme club. $100.00 might be to much for most people.

Ryan

May 19, 2008 at 6:40 pm

Weird, I’d never heard of this before. I think I’d seen it in a few themes I’d downloaded, but thought they had custom coded that in via functions.php. I’d better go add support for it in my own themes then. Thanks for the heads up.

A Tanone dot Net » Blog Archive » WordPress Automatic Update Plugin, Misty-Look and Gravat - See more at: http://web.archive.org/web/20131023205100/http://wprocks.com/2008/05/08/how-many-of-you-use-the-custom-header-image-option/#sthash.vITqkDVS.dpuf

May 20, 2008 at 6:50 pm

[…] while preparing this post, I checked Sadish’s site to insert the link and found this post on custom header image. I wish I’ve read this posting before I updated to Mistylook 3.6 last night so I could […]

natalie

May 22, 2008 at 6:43 pm

I am big into photography and love taking my own photos. I LOVE the custom image header option on wordpress and I don’t know what I would do without it! I am searching online for new templates because I will be helping create 20 new blog sites for clients at work. I would love to use the custom image header for them as well. It is tough finding many free custom image header templates online! There are not enough out there! I hope to find more to choose from!!! 🙂

sadish

May 22, 2008 at 6:45 pm

Many of the free themes that I created support it. Please go through the list at http://wpthemeshop.com/free-themes/ or http://wprocks.com/free-themes/ . Many of them have the support for Custom Header Image.

natalie

May 22, 2008 at 6:46 pm

Thank you Sadish! I will look those up asap! By the way, I am using one of yours on my wordpress blog and I love it!

Joy

May 24, 2008 at 6:46 pm

The custom image header is one of the main reasons I use your templates, Sadish! I’ve helped a few friends start their own blogs and always use your themes as well. Keep up the great work!

Laura

May 25, 2008 at 6:47 pm

Hi Sadish,
    I just discovered your themes, and I think their great, –elegant, clean, and simple.
    I also love the custom image header. For me, it’s a must have!!
    Thanks!

Carolyn Hanse

May 25, 2008 at 6:49 pm

Hi, Thanks so much for a great theme. I used the custom header feature right away. In fact, that’s why I chose it. I am fairly new to tech stuff, but found it very easy and love the theme. Thanks again.

ringplay

May 28, 2008 at 6:48 pm

I use custom headers for our website. Thing is, I adapted the site for NigaRila 1.0, and installed a rotating header image script. I have recently updated both WordPress and NigaRila, and the rotating script code no longer works — presumably because the custom header image code supersedes it.
    So here’s my question. How can I go back to rotating images using the built-in feature?

Nur

May 28, 2008 at 6:51 pm

Hi Sadish, How do I put a leaderboard up with replacing my custom image header. Help pls!! I love the fact that ur themes have e custom image header and I basically adore that feature so I do not want to ruin.. But i would love for u to help n create a new widget for the leaderboard. Thanks!!

jelte

May 28, 2008 at 6:52 pm

First of all Sadish,
    Thank you for giving away such beautiful themes. I choose your misty-look theme since it is so clean, crisp and simple.
    Of course I use these custom header since it makes a blog personal. I immidiately liked misty-look since it stands out from other themes I found on the web. But actually really dislike the default image of misty-look!
    After I downloaded I tried to replace the image myself by simply replacing the picture by FTP. Later realize that it was a feature of your program 🙂
    I actually use two different images, one for the static front page and a dynamic one on the blog. This dynamic one uses your “custom-header” feature.
    Here they are:
    http://www.huijelte.com (it is static)
    and
    http://www.huijelte.com/blog/ (it is dynamic)
    Again thank you!
    I think a small improvement could be to enable a random banner. Do you think that could be interesting? It would make blogs a little bit more “alive”.

Vicky

July 12, 2008 at 6:53 pm

When I gave your custom header a test drive I fell in love with it. Absolutely fantastic feature.

July 12, 2008 at 6:54 pm

Thanks Vicki. I am so surprised to see other designers did not make use of this WordPress API as much as I do.

Lekhni

July 30, 2008 at 6:55 pm

I am surprised too, as to why more themes do not have a customized header image. Personally, I only like themes with a customizable header (and I am using Misty Look with a custom header).

GirlGriot

August 3, 2008 at 6:56 pm

I, too, only use themes that have customizable headers. I use MistyLook right now. Sadish, I think your themes are great. I’m looking to switch now, but I’m looking for another of yours. Your designs are very clean and elegant, and I love that I can use my own photo for the header. Great work!

Entropy

August 7, 2008 at 6:56 pm

I love customizable header. Its must for me .. Also I need comments on Pages which is not offered by most themes. However I guess your themes provides both this .. Cheers !!

Alfred

August 8, 2008 at 6:57 pm

Hello Salish, the custom header is a very nice and usefull feature. I am using the Seashore Theme, but since WP 2.61 I am unable to change the Headerimage. After choosing a new picture, only an emty space is diplayed on the site. Is there any workaround?

Mona

August 8, 2008 at 6:58 pm

I am always using it when supported, and I think it’s a GREAT feature. Your themes are great, and I’m now using the Blue Sky theme, in which I changed the header.

Laura

August 15, 2008 at 6:58 pm

Love the custom image header, a definite must have! How about more custom image header themes with a larger header like the one on Fast Moving?

Francine

August 26, 2008 at 9:42 am

I use the custom image header on my blog and I agree that it is a must have. I am using the Misty Look theme and I love it.

JellyBeen

September 4, 2008 at 9:45 am

As much as I enjoy all of your themes; and, I find the default images work well with them, the ability to use a “Custom Header Image” is essentially a must have feature, IMHO. Kudos for making it an important part of your designs!

stevefree

September 5, 2008 at 9:46 am

I don’t use it. In fact, normally i will modify the CSS to remove header image. It just takes up too much real estate.

vapprel

September 8, 2008 at 9:48 am

Thanks so much for a great theme This is one of the top features that I look for in a theme and I use it on all three of my blogs thanks again.

liveon

September 8, 2008 at 9:49 am

thanks for custom image header
    I am using one of yours on my wordpress blog and I love it
    well done keep it up !!!!!!!!

mycustomheader

September 18, 2008 at 9:50 am

Awesome tool!
    There’s nothing like being to put your own custom designed header and adapt it to the theme in your blog.
    All these tools in one!

Stephen

September 27, 2008 at 9:51 am

ABSOLUTELY…as a photographer, I require being able to use my own image… what I would REALLY like is: a directory full of images, and have Misty_Look randomly select an image from the directory every page load….. now THAT I would pay for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andrea McMan

October 3, 2008 at 9:53 am

That is the exact question I have asked myself! After days of struggling, and messing up (I am HTML and CSS challenged), I stumbled upon your custom header themes, and I can’t thank you enough! It took me a matter of minutes to make my own header and upload it! Something I might never have been able to do with those other themes. I even blogged about your themes: http://chocolatefingerprints.net/?p=394 Thanks again!

Ryan Cromb

October 7, 2008 at 9:54 am

I can’t imagine going back to life before the custom header option. It’s definitely a huge deal to my site and as Stephen above said it’s a must for my site. I’m also pretty excited about their upcoming changes as well which were discussed in this years WordCamp. If you missed the news you should definitely get up to date: http://www.bestofthewebhosts.com/wordcamp.php
    The ability to make mini social networks and the updates to media management are going to be huge.

USAPinoy

October 10, 2008 at 9:55 am

I love custom headers, the kind where you are able to download your own pictures from the pc and you just crop it and voila, a new site header everyday.
    Sadish, I hope you’ll design more of the three-columns with “crop-pable” custom headers , I am not a techie and I don’t understand how to change my layouts so I am very reliant on just that which I see on the layout, I can’t change stylesheets, css.. In short, a dumbo..
    Please, please, please, have more of the three column designs.
    I’ll link this site.

smd

October 20, 2008 at 9:57 am

Love so much headers custom and your themes! Thank you

lisa paul

November 2, 2008 at 9:58 am

This is one of the first things I look for in a Theme. If you can’t customize your own header, how can you make your site your own? And why not add a new header every month or, at least, every season? By the way, thanks for your wonderful themes and informative website. I link to it in my Blogroll and refer all my fellow newbie WordPress using friends to use you as a great resource for all things WordPress. You often explain things more clearly than they are explained on the WordPress.org site.

Clive Praed

November 30, 2008 at 9:59 am

I’d love to use a custom header – it’s already been made in Photoshop but, it appears that I don’t have the “custom image header” option. My header must remain plain white text on a dirty blue background! beachcomber

Siren

December 1, 2008 at 10:00 am

I always want my own header on my blogs. I have worked out how to put a custom header on other blogs with an image in the header – usually it’s just a case of replacing the header image with your own of the same size – but it’s certainly much easier if the theme is set up with a custom header option. I can’t understand why it’s not more widespread.

Clive Praed

December 1, 2008 at 10:01 am

How true,
    The nice guy that made my theme has just sent me “instructions” to “try” and see if they work.
    Terrified, I am, at the thought of changing line after line of PHP and CSS code.
    I think I’ll try it after 8 pints of beer and a valium.
    At least, if I stuff it up then, I won’t care!

Susan (rainy)

December 21, 2008 at 10:02 am

Yes! I use and love the custom header feature!

caroldee

January 3, 2009 at 10:03 am

I totally agree with others I would not choose a theme unless it had the option of CUSTOM HEADER in it. It is my choice to make the picture that I choose for others to see when they first get the page to load. I do love all your color designs. I have used some too. The greens are my most favorite.

Kay Hall

January 21, 2009 at 10:03 am

Wouldn’t pick a theme without this option, probably. I love having custom headers!

Clive Praed

February 12, 2009 at 10:04 am

What a clever lad I am. I now have custom headers. Now, if I could only get the “easy redirect” plugin to work and not send me to a 404 page, life would be rosy.

Kate Walsh

February 22, 2010 at 10:05 am

I definitely like the custom header feature. I will use it at some point but for now I love everything about the existing header!