What is coming in WordPress 2.8

I downloaded the beta version of WordPress 2.8 (release version to see the light of the day soon).

It is a more polished version of what you see currently with WordPress 2.7 series.
The thing that I am going to talk about in this post is about the changes that are coming to “theme management”.
There is going to be a new option under “Appearance”, once you login to your WordPress installation. It will be called “Add New Themes”.
addnewthemes
When you click on this link, you will be able to basically browse the official WordPress Theme Viewer and be able to download and install the theme on your site, right within the WordPress dashboard.
installnewthemes-300x190
It is a nice feature, but unfortunately I have not uploaded any of my WordPress Themes into this official directory, because my themes are not GPL(General Public License).
My themes are not released under GPL. The user has to keep the footer links intact in order to use my themes for free. More about the License Information for my themes.

I am just wondering what I should do now. Let me know what you think I should do. Thanks.

Panduan Bisnis Online

May 31, 2009 at 7:14 am

A very nice post, I have no patience to wait launching 2.8

Suz

May 31, 2009 at 7:14 am

I will still use your themes, because they always work. Sometimes the other ones have problems.

Jeppe Schrøder

June 1, 2009 at 7:15 am

Maybe you could post one or two themes on the official directory, I would think that could generate even more happy users of all your themes, a nice way to spread the word…. maybe.

Rui Cruz

June 2, 2009 at 7:15 am

I use your new theme, and I realise you must have some “standarts” regarding giving away themes that you work and waste your time. I think we all agree.
    However, this will also make sence: why publish for GPL software something that is not GPL?
    In fact, that’s a question you need to ask to yourself. In my – personal – opinion, I think you should switch to GPL.

• wprocks

June 11, 2009 at 7:16 am

Just because WordPress is GPL, any theme or plugin does not need to be.
      If Clay is GPL, any statue you make using the clay, does not need to be GPL. Thats my take on it.

Jan

June 6, 2009 at 7:16 am

Maybe you could post MistyLook theme on the official directory.

hemorrhoid

June 11, 2009 at 7:17 am

You rock. World needs more souls like you.

Ellen

June 11, 2009 at 7:17 am

I would love to see MistyLook in the official themes directory! If it’s free, why not post it there? I also suspect you’d direct more users to your premium themes.

June 11, 2009 at 7:18 am

Thank you guys for your comments.
    I am going to release some of my themes in the official theme viewer as it will be the right thing to do for reaching a wider audience.
    I will post you some details soon.

• wprocks

Joanne

June 13, 2009 at 7:18 am

Sadish, I am planning to upgrade to 2.8 on Tuesday June 16th. I currently use MistyLook and would like to know if this is going to be available/compatible with 2.8 before I do it. Please let me know. I really don’t want to switch themes. Thanks,

• wprocks

June 13, 2009 at 7:19 am

Not just MistyLook, all my themes are compatible with WordPress 2.8.
        There is no change required.