Sadish at WordCamp Houston

Yesterday I went to theWordCamp Houston 2010 and got an opportunity to see some of the WordPress Enthusiasts from this part of the world.
As a WordPress Theme developer, I keep an eye on whats going on around WordPress, but somehow till last week, I did not know about this event at all. When I went online to get the tickets, they were already sold out.
I still went there and talked with a couple of different people and finally bought a ticket on the spot so I could get in.
My thoughts on this, presented in a random order.

• Houston is the hometown for Matt. He says “You are my people” to the crowd, on his keynote. See his complete keynote.
  • Houston has so many WordPress enthusiasts, I could see more than 200 people with all kinds of different backgrounds.
  • The event is very well organized.
  • People loving WordPress also loves iPhones and iPads. This camp is the second place where I see so many iDevices, the first one is the Apple Store :)
  • Had an opportunity to listen to the sessions of Bill Erickson and Aaron Brazell and learnt a few tricks and tips.
  • The word “Thesis” brings a lot of laughter in the crowd just similar to someone mentioned “Apple” in Google’s Camp. While Aaron hates the Thesis theme, Thesis is used by a lot of people for building WordPress sites quickly and professionally.
  • I met Stephanie Leary who wrote a book on WordPress 3 and she seems so knowledgeable.
  • I met Cullen Wilson who is running a company called WPEngine, providing hosted WordPress solutions.
  • Finally I met Matt, the founder of WordPress and we had a short conversation. See the pictures he took on that day.
  • Matt recognized me by face, he said he has seen my picture on this website.
  • Matt said MistyLook is one of his favorite themes and he has personally worked on getting it for use in wordpress.com. It is one of the most popular themes among the users of wordpress.com.
  • I am happy and proud to be associated with WordPress in some way through my contributions.

netster

August 8, 2010 at 7:34 am

Awesome Mr. Sadish!
    It’s really cool to be able to meet some of these people and I can feels the excitement here hahahaha
    cheers

Chris Olbekson

August 8, 2010 at 7:35 am

Sadish,
    Great comments about WordCamp Houston. I wish I had gotten a chance to meet you and wanted to mention you should upload some of your themes to the WordPress.org theme repository: http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/upload/

• wprocks

August 9, 2010 at 7:35 am

Yes I will do it soon.
      Thanks

Bethany

August 9, 2010 at 7:36 am

Glad you got to enjoy WordCamp Houston.
    In case you have not seen or heard about it, here is part of the reason for the laughter at the mention of Thesis: http://ma.tt/2010/07/syn-thesis-1/ and http://mixergy.com/chris-pearson-matt-mullenweg/
    Personally, I didn’t like Thesis before the conversation mentioned on these links. It makes it more complicated to do the changes I can easily do with your great themes, but is good for someone who wants to make the changes Chris “allows”.
    And I agree, MistyLook is one of my all time favs! So, thanks for that!

• wprocks

August 9, 2010 at 7:37 am

Bethany,
      Thank you for recognizing the ease of use with my themes. I always try to keep things simple and functional when I make the themes.
      I edited your comment to fix the links. Yes I do know the whole controversy between Matt and Chris and Thesis is now finally adhering to GPL.
      Thanks for sharing a comment.

Cullen Wilson

August 13, 2010 at 7:37 am

Thanks for the mention Sadish! Also, I just realized, I took that picture for you! Very cool =)

• wprocks

August 13, 2010 at 7:38 am

Yes of course. Thank you Cullen. That picture was well received among my friends on facebook.